The MEditerranean MOuntainous LAndscapes Project, financed by European Commission FP-7 (#613265), is coordinated by José María Martin Civantos, associate professor and researcher at the Dept of Medieval History, Universidad de Granada (Spain). The project aims to apply an interdisciplinary perspective to study the evolution of Mediterranean mountainous cultural landscapes.
In September and October, 2014, the archaeological excavation started, at Pago del Jarafi (Lanteira-Granada). After obtaining great results, documenting numerous settlement structures, silos for grain storage and a necropolis, we are returning to Lanteira for a second excavation campaign.
The MEMOLA project partners that participate in this intervention are:
• Universidad de Granada
• Arqueoandalusí Arqueología y Patrimonio S-L
• Agencia Estatal Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas-CSIC-Escuela Española de Arqueología en Roma
We also count with the collaboration of Lanteira and Alquife city councils, that will provide the necessary infrastructure to host the volunteers.
This year the excavation will be organized in 3 turns of 15 days each:
• August 15th to 30th
• September 1st- 15th
• September 16 th -30th
There is a limit of 20 volunteers for each turn.
It is necessary to register by sending an email to: email@example.com including the following:
• Turn in which you would like to participate
• Indicate any food allergies.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: June 1st, 2015
• Housing will be at the Alquife municipal pavilion, very close to the excavation site.
• Bring a sleeping bag and appropriate work outfit (clothes, footwear and gloves).
• Due to the characteristics of the site it is advised to bring sun protection: cream and hat.
• We will have access to the municipal swimming pool
• Meals will be provided from Monday through Friday: breakfast, lunch (at the excavation site), and dinner.
• Working tools will be provided to all participants.
• Volunteers must bring proof of accidental injury insurance, valid during the time of their participation at the excavation.
• Complementary activities such as, working with archaeological ceramics and soil sample flotation will be held at the municipal school of Lanteira.
• Work schedule during the first two turns ( August and mid September) will be from 7am to 3pm. During the second half of September, the schedule is from 8 am to 5pm with lunch break. The schedule could be modified depending on the weather conditions.
• For all those who need it, an assistance certification will be issued.